Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Eating Invasives


Three different Blue Lupine shades


This pretty plant is commonly called Garlic Mustard.  It was introduced to North America sometime during the 19th century and is wildly invading the native forests.  Fortunately it is extremely easy to identify thanks to it's tall stalks, distinct leaf shape and small four petaled white flowers.  If you ever see this plant, do your local habitat a favor and pull it out!  

On the plus side, it is not called Garlic Mustard for no reason.   It has a strong garlic scent and a good strong bitter green and garlic flavor.  The second nasty invasive that I have eaten which is very very edible.   Maybe eating these unwanted plants would be a good way to control their propogation (I have heard that they make good pesto - a spread to fight spread?)

My friend Angela came out with me this morning.  It was nice to have someone along - my own perspective is too narrow and limited and I love hearing the thoughts of another person out in the woods.   Not only does Angela have great ideas about life but she sees the natural world in a way I do not which challenges me and fleshes out my own understanding of things.    Oh yeah, and she encouraged me to actually pick and eat Garlic Mustard.  This is a picture of her picking some - although it was hard to get a picture of her between mosquito swattings - they are really terrible right now. 

Sauteed Garlic Mustard and Arugula.  Spicy and very delicious.  After I ate a few bites plain I finished it off in a tomato cream sauce over pasta and it was fantastic.  Greens for the cost of a peaceful morning, healthy exercise, saving native species, good conversation and a few mosquito bites, I say "score"

1 comment:

  1. Are the lupines wild? I have only seen cultivated ones I think. I'll have to try the Garlic Mustard... just pulled a handful out of my garden!

    ReplyDelete