Sunday, May 1, 2011

April

I really can't believe that it is the first day of May.  April flew by full of life (including a new baby in my family), hiking, exploring and living well.  We have gone from snow and ice to Trout lilies and tadpoles. 


Blue Cohosh.  This plant root is used primarily for menstruation issues and to induce labor.  It can also be used for nervous disorders and as an antispasmodic (for intestinal troubles).  This picture was taken in early April, and I think that the plant should be flowering... now I just need to find it again.



These Elderberry buds were photographed 2 weeks ago.  I returned to the spot where I saw them yesterday took the following pictures..


              

Elderberry, by the way, other than being fun to eat and good for jelly and wine, is a great insect repellent.  



lichen


Hadley Fire Tower

Hobblebush two weeks ago...

A Hobblebush flower bud cluster taken yesterday


Fiddleheads ready to spring in to action

The strange fuzzy purple plant from my last blog post turned out to be this beautiful Hepatica flower!  It's most popular uses include liver problems, Jaundice and lung and breathing problems.

Mayapples 

Bloodroot is so beautiful, I can't resist taking more pictures!


Trillium

Yellow Violet


Wild Oats (Sessile Bellwort)

the tiniest Jack In the Pulpit I have ever seen

The swamp in April


The progression of the wood frog's eggs - the tadpoles are getting ready to hatch as they squirm around in their transparent eggs

Horsetail



Trout Lilies 


Spring Beauties (these produce edible tubers)

germinating acorns (Red Oak)



a little Green Heron visited the pond behind my apartment today
(click on the pictures and then "zoom in" for a better view - she is pretty cool)



No comments:

Post a Comment