Monday, April 4, 2011

Tongue Mt. Range & Wilton Wildlife Preserve

March 25th, 4' of snow on some parts of the trail and a little bit of dirt under my feet in others, 28 degrees Fahrenheit...   I loved the contrast between the flowing water and solid ice sculptures dripping from these rocks

Wintergreen, living up to it's name and destined for tea

Icy, sweet and pungent little berries are best eaten out of the snow

Tongue Mt. and beautiful Lake George



I found a few small Sassafras roots in my rain jacket pocket which had been hiding out since last fall.  This was very fortunate since Sassafras and Wintergreen tea is my very favorite thing to drink

Steaming tea on a cold day

Great little ice sculptures in the stream

A detail of the waterfall & ice

A flower on a Hazelnut bush/tree.  You can see a catkin in the upper left corner which gives an idea of the minuteness of this flower.   I can't wait to find some Hazelnuts later this year.

Classic spring

I imagined (though I am probably wrong) that this little wasp-like bug had just gnawed it's way out of the gall below...




2 comments:

  1. Thought you'd like this!

    http://letspaintnature.com/2011/04/17/bloodroot-watercolor-sketch/

    ReplyDelete