Monday, March 28, 2011

stop and smell the sweetfern

I have more pictures and stuff to put up I just don't have the time to do it today.  Blogging takes up a lot of time but, I love it because it keeps me learning which is important to me.  My husband recently re-named me "Looks at stuff a lot" which is true - I often stop him while we are hiking and make him look at some plant or lichen or animal track or to eat something that I have found.  Truly, though, observing and appreciating the complexities and beauty and raw truths in nature is a completely enriching and perspective-altering habit.   It is soooooo important that we don't loose our connection with the earth as a (world full of) people.   

Milkweed Seeds ready to germinate as soon as the snow melts a little more.  Milkweed can be used for food, fiber and medicine.  I missed out last year on my chance to eat the seed pods and shoots which have to be gathered at just the right point.   I think it is pretty unbelievable that one of these little seeds contains the genetic information to grow not only a plant but also a bunch more little seeds with silk-like parachutes to carry them in the wind.  And to make them out of nothing but water, absorbed nutrients and sunshine.   

Pussy Willow (Salix Discolor).   The Willow family is one of the most commonly known medicinal plants.  Most people probably think of the dramatic Weeping Willow tree when they are talking about this family of shrubs and trees.  Actually, Weeping Willows are an invasive species imported from China and White Willows which are similar to the Weeping variety, have been introduced here in North America from Europe.  

This Pussy Willow is an example of a native North American willow shrub.  Willows contain Salicin which is the basis of the substance that chemists have synthesized in order to make what we know as Asprin.   All willows contain Salicin but the amount of it present can vary depending on the species and even the individual plant.   Willow was used extensively by the Native Americans for everything from sore throats to smoking mixtures to baskets.  I have found several references to it being used to clear up eye problems.  Willow bark tea is every bit as effective as taking an Asprin is - however, it is likely that you will miss out on the liver and stomach damage if you go with the bark instead of the bottle.  

Another photo of Sweet Fern in the winter (technically spring, but we still have several feet of snow here in the woods).  I crushed this up just for the sake of inhaling the awesome scent it gives off even after being dried out and snowed on all winter long.  




1 comment: