Tuesday, November 9, 2010

October

I thought I would share some photos which I have not yet posted anywhere online.   They are from a camping & fishing trip that Bruce (my husband) and I took early in October.


Some sort of jelly fungus




Wintergreen Berry
Wintergreen also known as tea berry is a delightful plant.  The berries can be found and eaten nearly all year round although they are best when dug from under the snow in the winter, or in the late fall.   The leaves and berries make a delicious tea and I have even used the berries, strung and dried, as beads.  Medicinally wintergreen is used traditionally to treat headaches and colds and intestinal gas.   The extracted oil is also used to treat rheumatism.

Wintergreen is particularly delicious steeped with Sassafras and drank hot with a little sugar 

Slimy



Edible Oyster Mushrooms
                                    
Edible (and really cool) Lions Mane mushroom.   This was found after a few days of rain and was quite infested with maggots

This was one of those mornings that sticks with you. As the sun rose and transformed the sky and then the hillside with brilliance, our hearts were transformed with it for a while






I spotted these ducks looking for food in a puddle after the rains.   I sat down and waited until they got a little comfortable with me and then got some fun pictures of them.  

1 comment:

  1. Do you have too many irons in the fire to try something with the grapes?

    ReplyDelete