Friday, November 12, 2010

November

November.   Usually I start holing up inside once the weather gets cold.   However, thanks to my new hunting license I have a lot of motivation to be outside for long periods of time.  These pictures are all from the farm where I hunt and which has a great array of different types of land including fields, hardwoods (oak, apple, ironwood, cherry, maple, ash, beech, birch, spicebush, etc), coniferous forest, lowlands and wet areas, and it borders a large wetland/swamp which covers at least 50 acres in its self.  So, if you think it's November and time to curl up in a ball with a book:  That sounds like a really great idea but don't neglect to get outside too!   It is beautiful out there every season and a would be a pity to let it pass by unappreciated

the last goldenrod of the season

wild grapes are still sweet and juicy

I found 2 strange strawberries (in November and after several heavy frosts - what?)
I have some lofty plans for these staghorn sumac berries which have many different uses  (which I plan to expound upon shortly)
I couldn't resist taking more frost pictures


You had to be there, really.   The frost crystals fell off the plants when I brushed them and fell like the finest glitter onto my shoes.  A picture is nice, but not the full experience of course.  

Singing birds, rustling squirrels, cold toes and the faintly warm sun rising and making everything silver for a moment before melting away the night's frost
Milkweed 
This cool green bug landed on my sleeve and then hung out by my foot for a while 
                                       

3 comments:

  1. I love the frosted queen annes lace one, it's so crisp you can taste the morning and feel the sun coming up in the background.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great eye for taking artistic photos. You really capture what it's like to be at the farm. I love the details you pick up on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every thought of actually going into photography???

    ReplyDelete