Monday, February 7, 2011

Family Farm

Bruce (my husband) and I have been itching to try cross-country skiing for a few months.   A few miles from where I grew up there is a world-class cross country skiing center run by a Scandinavian who is a former Olympic skier.  Before we hit the trails we had breakfast with my grandparents.  My grandmother is the town historian, and has done extensive research on our family's history in particular.    As it turns out, the cross country ski center was first settled by my great-great-great-great grandparents in the 1850's.   They were given a land-grant and acquired the property by farming it for a set number of years.   

The Original Cramer farm. 

Apple trees, I believe, growing at the farmstead site

I have always loved the golden contrast of the Beech leaves in the dark green, brown and white woods of winter.

Bruce learning to ski


I thought this little spot of lichen looked like a hammered silver brooch

Ah.... Hemlock...   
One of my favorite trees
I will be making Hemlock tea in the next few weeks and will report back on it's palatability.    There is an entire blog-worth of hemlock information which will accompany it!   


1 comment:

  1. Great descriptions! I can hear your love for the outdoors and your camera captures a hint of what you see! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete